Weight and health are the two most asked about and requested topics from you all. And I love sharing my tips and tricks that have helped me build a healthy relationship with food and my body, shed weight or maintained my weight and live a healthy lifestyle.
The tips are healthy and not extreme, because living a healthy balanced life is about making good decisions for the long term and respecting your body. Not finding a quick fix.
When starting your healthy lifestyle or weight loss journey, it is really important to recognize your behaviors. Behavior and habits are what drive us to act in the same way day after day….so, if we want to have a different result, we need to do something different, right? (The definition of insanity can relate here!)
Here are my 20 Healthy Habits to add to your day!
- Only eat when you sit. This sounds simple and easy, but become mindful of how often you grab something on the go. Either a meal or going into the kitchen three times to grab a small bite. The reality is, you’ll end up eating more food with less satisfaction when you’re standing and checked out.
- Eat something before you go grocery shopping. Starting your shop with a happy, satisfied stomach will keep your focus on your list vs. impulse purchases that will derail your goals.
- Have a specific goal. You’ve heard me say this before – find your why. Saying you want to lose weight or eat healthy is vague and leaves opportunity to not take action or make you feel as though you failed.
- Don’t snack after meals. I did this often until I took a hard look at my meals. Ensure you have a good balance of carbs, fats and protein. To break your habit, grab a cup of tea to sip on after your meal to help break your habit.
- Schedule healthy movement. Workouts, walks, whatever works for you. Just write it down, make the time and do it.
- Use a tool. A step tracker or journal will help motivate you to move more or analyze your food intake and overall health. Use the tools to motivate yourself to keep going and make small improvements!
- Stand more each day. If you sit often at work, focus on standing often. I make it a priority to move every hour.
- Sleep. I know, I know. Believe me, I am a mom with another on the way. But, sleep deprivation causes your body to produce a hormone that makes you want to eat more. No thanks. Aim for seven to eight hours. If you can’t, be aware that your sleepy state will drive you to snack, not your stomach.
- Find healthy alternatives. Now, I do not mean low-fat or low-calorie options. I mean, if you like Oreos, find a cleaner version. Or homemade sweet potato fries over takeout. Remove the unhealthy ingredients in your foods – they’re not good for you and can cause weight to hang on your body. No thanks.
- Understand your cravings. If you love chocolate, it could be you have an imbalance. Or, maybe you love chocolate. Add a teaspoon of cacao powder to your oatmeal and dig in. You’ll get that chocolate punch without the extra calories and fat of a chocolate bar or cookie.
- Eat at home. This is HUGE. You guys, you will save so much fat, calories and money when you bring healthy food from home vs. eating out. Not to mention portion sizes. This was one of the biggest
- Lay out your gym clothes at night and go in the morning.
- Don’t skip meals. It is the worst thing you can do to harm your body (other than not drink water).
- Drink water. You saw that coming, right.
- Add in high fiber foods. Foods that have a fiber content will keep you fuller longer. Adults should have about 35 grams a day. Think of avocado, nuts, veggies, oatmeal.
- Get rid of unhealthy food and grab healthier options. Here are my favorites!
- Have go-to meals. Learn portions, prep and be ready with snacks in your bag and options you can throw together in under 15 minutes. Pinterest has great inspiration!
- Bulk up your meals. THIS IS EVERYTHING! Add in veggies that are low in calories, high in fiber and give you all of those amazing vitamins and minerals.
- Be mindful of salads. I know, this sounds strange because you know I am a salad girl. But watch out for those sneaky ingredients and bottled dressings.
- Eat for energy. Once I changed my mindset to fueling my body for energy for the day, I made peace with my body and maintaining my weight was the easiest it has ever been.
OK, there are all of my tips, tricks and secrets.
Tell me, what are some of the ways that you stay healthy, motivated and living your best life?
What is your favorite tip?
#18 is my #1