In my Pinterest browsing the other day I came across a pin that claimed to be a list of “100 Healthy Snack Ideas”. I was massively disappointed when I clicked on the link only to find over a third of the items to involve unhealthy processed junk with lots of low-fat this and that, and calorie counting. Not at all healthy, in my books.
A few months back I shared a post about Taming the Hunger Beast and a lot of you could relate on my one time love for 100 calorie snack packs. Yuck. What is even in those things? Not that I am opposed to pre-portioned food (I often carry 100 calorie nut packs for the convenience and ease of portability) but lets make sure those calories are actually doing something for us! Real food is where it is at.
Here is what I try and stick to for a healthy snack…
- non-processed (this generally means not from a box or bag, no “ingredient list”, unless I made it myself)
- NOT low-fat / low-calorie
- includes probiotics, healthy fats, raw, high in protein
- something that will keep my blood sugar stable
So, I made my own list and want to share it with you all, because I often find myself in a snack-time rut. This list is going on my fridge and with my meal planning notes, so that I can plan snacks wisely. Oh, and as a bonus, you can combine any number of these things to together to make an easy lunch (I love snack plates!!). One of my favorites is veggies and hummus and tuna lettuce leaves.
- Edamame (top with garlic, salt and citrus zest!)
- Air-popped popcorn
- Raw veggies with hummus
- Apples & nut butter
- Homemade granola
- Mini tuna & avocado lettuce wraps (use a lettuce leaf as a wrap)
- Chicken salad lettuce wraps
- Egg Salad lettuce wraps
- Green salad (drop in some fruit or endless veggies with flavored olive oil or vinegar)
- Steamed veggies with nutritional yeast
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Plain yogurt with honey or maple syrup
- Green smoothies
- Avocado toast (so many varieties!)
- Beef jerky –please look for organic or if you are crazy, make your own!
- Homemade fruit leather
- Applesauce (no sugar added and/or homemade, which is surprisingly easy to do!), mix with cottage cheese for a perfect snack!
- Ezekiel bread with homemade honey-sweetened strawberry chia seed jam
- Dried dates with peanut butter
- Fruit salad with nuts on the side
- No-Bake Energy Bites (love the Superfood version, too!)
- Nut butter on toast
- Half an avocado (eat straight or with a drizzle of honey and sunflower seeds)
- Any kind of cheese (except processed, of course!)
- Organic corn chips and fresh salsa
- Oatmeal (yes, this can be a snack!)
- Ants on a log (celery with PB & raisins)
- Mini bruschetta sticks (cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls on a toothpick with basil)
- Nitrate-free deli meat wrapped around a pickle or inside a lettuce leaf
- Baked apples (sprinkle on some cinnamon)
- Chocolate avocado pudding
- Chocolate-dipped graham crackers (dip half a graham cracker into melted chocolate and let cool)
- A cup of broth-based soup
- Homemade “larabars”
- Sweet potato fries
- Tuna melts
- Homemade popsicles
- Gluten-free banana-pecan muffins
- Mini pizzas (on toast, tortilla, or pita)
- Chocolate-Banana smoothie
- Snap peas
- Homemade ice cream (frozen bananas with a splash of almond milk)
- Homemade granola with coconut/almond milk
- Parfait (yogurt, fruit, granola)
- Homemade trail mix
- Homemade crackers
- Kale chips
- Roasted pumpkin or squash seeds
- Deviled eggs
- Handful of almonds or your favorite nut
- Yogurt with granola
- Dehydrated fruit chips
- Roasted chickpeas
- Cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon or fruit
- Nut mix
- Crackers & hummus
- Almond milk with dates blended with ice and half a frozen banana
- Chocolate-dipped strawberries rolled in crushed nuts
- Meatballs with marinara for dipping
- Loaded cucumber rounds (top cucumber slices with plain Greek yogurt and a slice of roasted red pepper)
- Brown rice cakes with peanut butter or avocado
What are some of your favorite snacks from the list?
What is something you want to try?
Tell me a snack that I should add to the list!
This post is created in partnership with Meijer. Thank you for your constant support of this blog and my intent to always connect in a positive and meaningful way!