As I have shared before, this pregnancy has been a whole different ball game. I remember being pregnant with Mitch and moving past the first trimester of bland food back into my normal eats. But with this pregnancy, morning sickness and food aversions have been going strong throughout. One thing I’ve always loved is a nice, cold smoothie. A smoothie is a perfect way to pack in nutrients without realizing (or tasting) a thing!
Not only that, but Mitch is all about his sous chef title. He loves to help cook, bake and yes, blend. So I love to have a great recipe up my sleeve that he can enjoy, too.
While spinach is the usual ‘secret’ ingredient, I fell in love with cauliflower. I know, I know, it sounds well, out there. And I was where you are thinking we’ve all fallen off the crazy train. But trust me, you DO NOT TASTE IT! Magic.
I love adding cauliflower for so many reasons:
- It’s packed with nutrients
- The frozen veggie adds an icy yet creamy texture to the smoothie
- You can use as a sub for bananas, which is great for everyone who doesn’t like the ‘nanner or wants to keep their sugars down (I am ok with natural sugar, personally)
This creamy milkshake of a smoothie is my favorite treat at home. It’s so simple but so insanely delicious. I call it my “pregnancy smoothie” just because all the ingredients are really great for mamas to be, but really anyone, whether you are pregnant or not, will enjoy this!
With a perfect mix of carbs, protein and fat, the smoothie will keep you full and satisfied for hours, great for breakfast or an afternoon snack. I enjoy this a few times a week!
Blueberry Cauliflower Ginger Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower (preferably riced cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- handful of spinach leaves
- fresh grated ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses. Enjoy!