On Tuesday Phil and I celebrated our eight wedding anniversary. Well, we didn't technically celebrate as he was traveling for work (I know, right?). Though we have plans to celebrate properly this weekend, I couldn't help but become a bit sentimental thinking back to the day I said "I do" and all of the amazing experiences we've had since.
I shared on Instagram a throwback picture of eight years ago vs. today with the caption, "A lot less hairspray, a lot more bump. It's the journey that's the fun part."
And I've found that to be true; my wedding day was perfect but life has been an amazing ride ever since. While I treasure that day, there have been so many moments, experiences and reasons to love this journey I'm on with my. Eat friend.
For fun, I'm sharing the top eight moments since our wedding day.
1. Honeymoon – it was a wild trip that makes me laugh just thinking of the memories. Open bars with no where to go – oy.
2. Buying our first house together. Yes, buying our house was amazing, but I love building our home. House projects, grilling out with friends, watching Mitch taking his first steps – out home holds all of these special times.
3. Traveling through Italy and Paris. What an experience! Travel is one of my passions and I loved going on my dream vacation with Phil. We roamed cities, ate amazing food and saw sites you only dream of.
4. Coffee prep. This may seem like a strange one, but every night Phil preps the coffee machine so it's ready when I get up early the next morning. The little things can be the sweetest things.
5. The first time we laid eyes on Mitchell. We changed that day into a family. Our love instantly grew inside that hospital room. Watching Phil with Mitch that day and every day since makes my heart utterly explode.
6. Seeing the second positive pregnancy test. I found out I was pregnant with my second little one on our ten year anniversary, which was also the day I accepted my new job. Talk about a day and moment we won't soon forget! It was amazing to stand in the kitchen with my positive test, look at Phil ten years later with Mitch and I froze thinking, "How crazy amazing is this life?!"
7. Playing tee ball outside with Mitch after work. Watching Mitch grow every day is one of the best parts of being a parent. He's obsessed with sports and plays baseball every night. And let me tell you, he can hit! It's hard to believe he's going to be three! I want to push a pause button.
8. Sitting in our rockers on the front porch sipping coffee/wine talking about everything and nothing. There's simply nothing better than sitting side by side with my best friend talking about everything and nothing.
Life can be a wild ride, and it's certainly thrown us our fair share of pain, heartache and challenges over the years, but I've also been blessed in a million ways. We can get so caught up in daily tasks, expectations and demands that we think life's highlights are big, grand moments. But what I've learned through experience and the wise words of friends and family is to soak up the moment you're in with the ones you love.
What's a best moment in your life? What's a lesson you've learned through experience?