Resolutions…did you make any? I made my one goal, not so much a resolution per say. My goal is a bit broad; Self Improvement. For me, I am all about small changes; setting goals and then taking steps to get there. I find the fastest way to fail is to set a goal and then be disappointed when we cannot immediately reach it or see it come to fruition.
Over the years I have added habits into my life that help me live a healthy life and are helping me regain my pre-pregnancy body. I find it amazing how quickly my body is moving back to its former shape thanks to the healthy lifestyle I lived before, during and now post pregnancy.
- Drink more water. I have shared my experience with adding water into my life on the blog before, but I will say it again- this is the best thing you can do for your body and health. If you don’t have a water bottle, get one and start keeping track of how much you’re drinking each day. I take my water bottle with me everywhere! I also make sure to drink 20-30 oz first thing in the morning before anything else – it will kick start your metabolism.
- Add in! Avoid processed and packaged foods and increase your intake of fresh, whole foods. Adding in wholesome foods means you are crowding out unhealthy ones. I know this sounds boring, but it’s actually easy and delicious. How to:
- Shop the perimeter of your grocery store for 90% of your food. Save the inner isles for a few items such as beans, rice, and non-food items.
- Think about what you could eat instead of a not-so-great option. So, add in an apple and nuts at 3pm instead of your coffee and chocolate. See, easy!
- Start each meal with a fruit for vegetable. Each meal should include something green or colorful. When you serve dinner, fill half of your plate with a salad or veggie. Doing this fills you up, keeps portions down and helps you lose weight. It is one of my number one tricks!
- On that note, add a salad into your day. We eat a small salad pre-dinner that is filled with veggies and it seriously takes the edge off hunger and helps to keep our dinner portions in check.
- Eat at home. Doing so ensures that we know what is going into our meals and thus, our bodies. Use Pinterest for inspiration and find some quick meals – I know you already have a board!
- Snack Smart. I always keep a healthy snack on me. The other day I went to visit my girlfriend and she laughed because I had an apple in my car. Yup, and nuts in my purse! I know my body like a snack in the afternoon so I plan ahead so I don’t go into starvation mode or make a bad decision.
- Plan ahead. Get a game plan for your weekly meals and then ensure your kitchen is stocked. Each week I get a game plan for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Again, just like #5, use Pinterest to keep it interesting with a new recipe each week. .
- Stock your kitchen. We always keep beans, veggies and quinoa on hand so in a pinch we can make dinner happen
- Eat for energy. No food is “bad.” There are foods that are not great choices when it comes to eating. But the second I realized I needed to eat for energy, my approach to food changed. When I have the option of fried chicken or baked, I go baked because I know I won’t have gut rot an hour later. I do not like to feel weighed down so making choices that keep me going and keeping up with my little one is critical!
- Treat yourself. I have a sweet every day. Yup! And knowing that I will have my sweet after dinner helps me knock the cravings during the day.
To help you with your healthy habits, today’s Healthy Happy New Year giveaway is this gorgeous water bottle from Orla Kiely and my favorite tea! Yes, I just said drink water, but I am not going to ship you water. Instead, I am sharing my favorite alternative. Passion Iced Tea is beyond delicious, calorie free, caffeine free and is the perfect option when you want to change up your drink without going for not so great options (#9!).
All you have to do to be eligible to win is leave a comment below telling me your resolution or your favorite healthy tip. Earn a second entry if you follow on Instagram! Leave a separate comments telling me you follow.
The contest is open until Tuesday when I will select one winner.
If you’re interested in learning more about eating healthy and making lifestyle changes with the support of a health coach, I’m here to help! Head over to my health coaching page to learn more!
Thanks to Amanda for TOL!